Thursday, October 16, 2008

How Your Child is Smart--A Life-Changing Approach to Learning by Dawna Markova Ph.D.

How Your Child is Smart is probably one of the top reasons I still homeschool Zane.

A few years ago, I was having non-stop problems teaching him. I'm fairly certain he'd have issues in public school. He's Phil's little clone and he's not far away from my brother as far as learning goes.

Phil and my brother, Johnny, both got horrible grades. Johnny quit school. Phil joined the Army. Both of them, however, are mechanical geniuses.

I got straight A's, made honor roll and honor society, all that nerdy, smart-kid stuff. But can I fix any-freaking-thing? NO!

The differences became glaringly obvious when I was trying to make Zane love letters, words, sentences, reading and all he wanted to do (at 3) was tell me how three three's make nine or four two's make eight. He was counting money and doing mathematical things I have trouble with, yet he wouldn't say the alphabet or spell c-a-t.

So I did what all Horrible Homeschooler do.

I gave up.

But then, someone told me to get this book.
God bless that person, I have no clue who it was, but it saved me. Saved us. Saved our little homeschooling gig.


(and as an added bonus, it helped me with the arguments Phil and I have. Had. Since reading the book, the issue has been put to rest.)

Check it out, it might just save your sanity!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I agree with you!
So often people with all sorts of terrific practical skills get put down or overlooked in regular school.
I know this from my own family.
I'm a retired teacher and found that many of my less obviously 'academic' students were fabulous poets and creative writers.
Teachers must constantly remind themselves to love all their students - not just the most obviously lovable ones.

Maddy said...

Well I was expecting a tackle it tuesday. Nevertheless, that's probably far more useful, for me at least. Thanks for the recommendation.
Cheers